Following the recent terror attacks in Sinai, some tried to portray the violence as an armed insurgency in response to July 3 coup against Morsi. Sinai militancy, however, has been ongoing before Morsi, continued during his tenure, and after his ousting. Here is a summery of main events since 2004.
(photo via Reuters)
- Bomb blasts at Egyptian resorts in South Sinai, in which at least 28 people died.
- At least 88 people have been killed in bomb attacks in the Egyptian resort of Sharm al-Sheikh
- At least 23 people – including three foreigners – have been killed and 62 wounded in three blasts in the Egyptian resort town of Dahab
- Rocket attacks on Israel’s Eilat and Jordan’s Aqaba fired from Egypt’s Sinai
- Egyptian pipeline supplying gas to Israel near the Gaza Strip amid raging protests against Mubarak
After the revolution/ before Morsi (February 2011- June 2012)
- Seven people were killed in a deadly attacks hit Israeli vehicles near Egypt. August 2011.
- Militants infiltrated Israel from Sinai, opening anti-tank fire against Israeli building killing at least one. June 2012.
- Several attacks on Egyptian gas pipeline in Sinai
During Morsi’s tenure (July 2012- July 3 2013)
- Two American tourists and their Egyptian guide who were abducted by a Bedouin were later released. July 2012
- Gunmen killed about 15 Egyptian border guards and hijacked armoured vehicles to launch an attack across the Israeli border. August 2012
- Egyptian army under Morsi launched Operation Sinai against militants in Sinai
- Dozens of militants attack peacekeeper headquarters in Sinai, three wounded. September 2012
- One Israeli soldier was killed and another was wounded morning in a battle with three men who stormed into Israel from Sinai. September 2012
After the ousting of Morsi
- At least three people were killed when militants fired rocket-propelled grenades at a bus carrying factory workers in North Sinai. July 2013
- At least 25 Egyptian soldiers were killed in a rocket-propelled grenade attack near Rafah August 2013
- At least six soldiers have been killed in a double suicide bomb attack in Rafah. September 2013
- An attack security headquarters in Sinai town of Al-Tor killed two, and injured 48. October 2013.
- A car bomb exploded Saturday near an Egyptian military intelligence compound in the Suez Canal city of Ismailia. October 2013
- A suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into a convoy of buses carrying off-duty soldiers, between Rafah and al-Arish. November 2013
- Islamist militants shot down an Egyptian military helicopter in the Sinai Peninsula with a surface-to-air missile, killing 5 soldiers. January 2014
- A bomb attack on a tourist bus in South Sinai killed three South Koreans and an Egyptian. February 2014.
- Egyptian court designated Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis a terrorist group. April 2014
- Ansar Beit Al-Mqdis commander Shadi al-Menei was shot dead in Sinai. May 2014
During Sisi’s tenure
From June 2014
- Seven civilians and one soldier were killed in two separate attacks in North Sinai July 2014
- Egyptian army killed second Ansar Beit al-Maqdis leader. October 2014
- Blast rocks Egypt’s gas pipeline to Jordan
- Militants killed three policemen when they hit a patrol car with RPG fire with RPG fire. October 2014
- At least three Egyptian troops killed in collapse of tunnel to Gaza. October 2013
- State of Emergency declared in parts of North Sinai after attack killed 31 soldiers. October 2014
- Sinai’s Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis swore allegiance to the Islamic State. November 2014
- A car bomb outside a fast-food restaurant in al-Arish wounded 10 civilians. November 2015.
- Four soldiers were killed, 13 injured when militants attack their bus. January 2015
- At least 26 people were killed when a series of militant attacks struck army and police positions in al-Arish. January 2015
- A suicide bomber killed a civilian and wounded 30 policemen in al-Arish. March 2015
- Two Egyptian soldiers and a policeman were killed in separate attacks in North Sinai. March 2015
- At least 14 people, mostly Egyptian policemen, were killed in separate operations when militants attacked a police station in al-Arish. April 2015
- Clashes erupt between Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis and local Bedouin tribes in North Sinai. April 2015
- Egypt’s Sinai tribes put bounty on senior leader of Welayat Sinai militant group. May 2015
- Three Egyptian judges and their driver were killed when gunmen opened fire on their vehicle in al-Arish. May 2015
- Egypt executes six members of a Sinai-based militant group for carrying an attack on soldiers in 2014. May 2015
- Simultaneous attacks on military checkpoints claimed by Welayat Sinai have killed 21 military personnel. July 2015
- IS affiliate in Egypt claims rocket attack on Israel. July 2015