(Ahmed Fouad Negm, rallies attendants during a public meeting organized by the opposition movement ‘Writers and Artists for Change’ in Cairo in 2005. curtsey CNN)
This is special edition of my weekly Egypt’s report dedicated to the legendary Egyptian poet Ahmad Fouad Negm who passed away on December 3. Negm was, and still is my favorite Egyptian poet. Hope you like this collection
- Prince Claus Award for Ahmad Fouad Negm.
- Zeinobia ‘s tribute for Negm, and his funeral
- Rawyia Rageh’s 2002 profile for the AP of Egypt’s iconic poet Ahmed Fouad Negm
- Al-Jazeera English’s 2012 documentary of Ahmed Fouad Negm
- Kareem Fahim writes in the New York Times: Ahmed Fouad Negm, dissident poet of Egypt’s underclass, dies at 84
- Washington Post’s piece about Negm
- Raphael Cormack’s obituary of Negm
Finally, here is one of Negm’s famous poems translated by Walaa Quisay at Revolutionary Arabic Poetry
I never fret, and will always say
A word, for which, I am responsible
That the president is a compassionate man
Constantly, busy working for his people
Busy, gathering their money
Outside, in Switzerland, saving it for us
In secret bank accounts
Poor guy, looking out for our future
Can’t you see his kindly heart?
In faith and good conscience
He only starves you; so you’d lose the weight
O what a people! In need of a diet
O the ignorance! You talk of “unemployment”
And how condition have become dysfunctional
The man just wants to see you rested
Since when was rest such a burden???
And this talk of the resorts
Why do they call them political prisons??
Why do you have to be so suspicious?
He just wants you to have some fun
With regards to “The Chair”
It is without a doubt
All our fault!!
Couldn’t we buy him a Taflon Chair?
I swear, you mistreated the poor man
He wasted his life away, and for what?
Even your food, he eats it for you!
Devouring all that’s in his way.