“Months of achievements…President Morsi builds Egypt anew,” is a 124-page booklet authored by Reda al-Masry, a so-called “educational expert” and the author of several educational articles on the Brotherhood and other Islamic websites. Apparently, the book is only being distributed to young members of the Brotherhood, and it lists the accomplishments made by President Morsi over his nine months in power.
Masry said he wrote this book because the media has been smearing Morsi’s image. “The recognition Morsi gets at the popular, regional and international levels causes envious people inside Egypt to seek to tarnish his image.”
According to the booklet, President Morsi is:
- First civilian president
- First elected president
- First bearded president
- First president to sue his enemies
- First president whose convoy does not paralyse traffic
- First president whose son gets less than 90 percent in high school exams.
- First president to shake hand with the officer who imprisoned him
- First president to pray every Friday in a mosque
In the spirit of highlighting President Morsi’s achievements, I would like to add a few extra:
- First president to transform the fissures within Egyptian society into full-scale divisions.
- The president with the worst record of minorities’ and women’s rights
- First president to provide rich resources for satire
- First president with weird political vocabulary
- First president with tense relationship with his military establishment
- The president with highest record of travel in the first eight months of his rule, seeking loans from abroad
- The president with the highest record of violence during his rule
- First president to lose the support of many in the Canal region, particularly in the city of Port Said
- First president to contribute directly to the rising popularity of his deposed predecessor
- First president to be resented by many who elected him
- First president to be rushed out of a mosque barefooted (allegedly)
- First president to take the definition of “uncharismatic” to a new level
- First president to make Egyptians view enlightenment as an elusive bird
If I missed any of President Morsi’s achievements, or if you disagree with the above, please feel free to join in and express your views.